Check out what's been going on at Genecov Orthodontics.
Check out our G Newsletter
Our Patient Dylan Parrish:
Pride of Boaz
By Shannon J. Allen
The Reporter — Published April 8, 2010
Achievement award winners in the Bryant-Jordan Student-Athlete Awards Program are described as student-athletes who by sheer determination have overcome obstacles to achieve a level of success in a sport.
Boaz senior Dylan Parrish embodies that description.
Parrish, who's participated in basketball, golf and cross country as a Pirate, became the school's first winner at the state level in the Bryant-Jordan Program when he claimed the Class 5A achievement award Monday night.
Parrish, who is the son of Darryl and Rissa Parrish, was honored during the 25th annual Bryant-Jordan Banquet at the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel.
In February, Parrish was recognized for winning the Bryant-Jordan Achievement Award for both 5A, Area 13 and 5A, Region 7
Parrish earned a $2,500 scholarship as the region winner. He picked up $3,000 for being selected the 5A state winner.
"Because of Billy Bob Thornton and all my letters of recommendation and what I've been through, I thought I might have a good shot at it," Parrish said.
"I was competing against seven girls and they happened to call me, and it was just a great feeling.
"Just the number one thing is to thank God, because like I said earlier (after winning the area and region awards), without Him I wouldn't be here.
"I wouldn't have gotten this far and won the Class 5A for the achievement award. And I just want to thank all the people who came and supported me too."
Parrish has bilateral hemifacial microsomia. The condition can occur by itself or as part of a syndrome such as Goldenhar syndrome, which Parrish was diagnosed with at birth. He was diagnosed with Tourette syndrome in 2008.
"My last surgery was around this time last year," Parrish said. "I've had unlimited, unlimited (surgeries). I can't remember all of the ones I've had. I couldn't tell you how many.
"I see an orthodontist in Dallas every six to eight weeks. Billy Bob Thornton pays for our (airline) tickets.
"I've had my braces for like eight or nine years. It's been a while. I was supposed to get them off before graduation soon."
Parrish has traveled to Medical City Dallas to see a team of doctors since he was 3 years old. He is a member of the Craniofacial Association and the World Craniofacial Association.
Parrish's connection to Thornton, an Academy award-winning screenwriter and actor, is through a relative.
"My aunt, Joani Yarbrough Bruce, is his personal hairstylist," Rissa Parrish said.
"She was telling Billy Bob Thornton about the trouble my insurance was giving us about Dylan's surgeries and the expenses.
"She said that she turned away to grab something to fix his hair, and he spoke up and said he would help. She told him she didn't mean for him to help, but at that point he was willing and wanting to.
"It was a God thing because I had already been praying, and God told me not to worry. You know He works in mysterious ways.
"Since that time, we have met Billy Bob several times, and each time his number one thing is to see Dylan first and spend quality time with him.
"They share an unusual bond. Dylan calls him Uncle Billy. He has been so very good to us over the years, and we owe him a debt of gratitude that could never be repaid."
Parrish dreams of a life of service after he completes his college education.
"My plans are to go to Snead State for two years and then transfer to UAB to pursue a career in orthodontics," he said.
"I've been around orthodontists my whole life and everything, and I'd like to help kids that have the same situation as me, so I kind of want to be like a special orthodontist in a way."
- On September 26 27 2008 Dr. Genecov and the team attended classes at the Southwestern Society of Orthodontists meeting in Ft. Worth. Dr. Genecov and the team earned 80 credit hours of continuing education credits to help us continue to improve our service to our patients.
- At the meeting Dr. Genecov was installed as the Vice President of the Texas Association of Orthodontists.
- Dr. Genecov and his brother Dr. David Genecov were recently highlighted by Neil Sperry in his e-mail newsletter. You can read about us at World, meet Wonderful Ella Grace Sperry
- Dr. Jeff Genecov was named a Texas Super Dentist for the fifth time by Texas Monthly for 2008.
- Dr. Jeff and his brother, craniofacial plastic surgeon Dr. David Genecov, recently presented a course titled; Esthetic Orthognathic Surgery; at the American Society of Plastic Surgery meeting in Baltimore at the end of October.
- Welcome! April, Amii and Necole our new team members to Genecov Orthodontics.